Rother District Council: Bexhill i-Tree Eco Report

Report Summary

Bexhill has approximately 228,000 trees.

  • Bexhill’s tree cover stands at an estimated 16% and shrub cover at 6%, giving a total canopy cover of 22% covering an area of over 750 hectares!
  • A total of 81 different tree species were recorded in Bexhill as part of the study.
  • Of the 81 species, the most common are Quercus robur (Oak) with an estimated 43,000 trees, Fraxinus excelsior (Ash) with an estimated 20,000 trees, and Ilex aquifolium (Holly) with an estimated 18,000 trees.
  • Bexhill’s urban forest performs well in terms of its structure, with a wide variety of species. There is some dominance of Quercus robur (Oak) at species level. It is recommended that future planting focusses on further diversifying the urban forest to reduce reliance on key species like Quercus robur (Oak) and improve overall resilience, considering the threat posed by acute oak decline.
  • There is a good distribution of both semi-mature and mature trees throughout Bexhill, however there are very few large senescent trees. Managing trees to ensure they reach this large stature is important as generally larger trees result in greater benefit provision. Further planting of young trees should be undertaken to support the ageing population

We’re here, let’s talk!

Treeconomics is the go-to organisation for the valuing of trees in towns and cities. We specialise in all aspects of urban forest management and offer a range of services, from canopy cover assessments through to comprehensive management plans.